file Craigs Nightime

• Posts 97

Clancy created: Craigs Nightime

Tied up a few of these and found that they would not swim upright and turned in the water.I would appreciate some help to solve this problem.

Live and let live

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 67

freestone replied: Craigs Nightime

Jim, without seeing the errant fly, I suggest you try “keeling” the fly by starting your tie off with about 4 wraps of medium size lead wire on the upper part of the hook bend just below where the tag will be tied in (so that the lead wraps are below the hook shank. After securing the wraps with thread you can coat the lead wraps with a thin coating of UV resin or liquis super glue.

freestone
AKA fingers

• Posts 171

Peter Gibson replied: Craigs Nightime

Clancy post a pic of one of the flies so we can see how you are tying them.

• Posts 97

Clancy replied: Craigs Nightime

Hi Peter,I wonder if the beard is supposed to act as a keel or perhaps the wing is not aligned

Live and let live
Attachments:

• Posts 171

Peter Gibson replied: Craigs Nightime

Not sure why that would go belly-up. I tie a lot of them and (as far as I know, in the dark) they swim OK. But I tie them slightly differently...I tie a feather flat over back first and then a couple each side to make a tent shape. And I tie a single jungle cock over top rather than as cheeks. I'm not sure this would make any difference but might be worth a try. I also use lead wire on some (I tie with different thread colour so I know which are the weighted ones)...I wind a few times along the shank, and I would have thought that would make them more top-heavy if anything, but never had that problem. I notice your fly has a much longer tail than I would tie...maybe that's making it roll over...could try shortening that to a tag, like a Red Tag length.
Attachments:

• Posts 67

freestone replied: Craigs Nightime

Jim, your tie looks good to me - similar to what I used to tie and they work! There are some great hooks out now like Ahrex trout preditor and Firehole 811 sticks, which are more of a stinger style heavier wire hook and really well suited for keeling flies. They also have better hook up rates and are stronger than the older more classic hooks. Only other thing I can think of is to use seals fur as a body if you are not already using it.

freestone
AKA fingers

• Posts 8

micmac3701 replied: Craigs Nightime

I suspect the problem is the single JC nail on the side rather on the top. I think this will tend to turn/spin the fly on retrieve.

• Posts 59

kcfly replied: Craigs Nightime

Simple swim one of a day time and have a look to see how it swims
I swim all my flies to make shore they swim right
ken culgin

• Posts 9

alhughes replied: Craigs Nightime

What feathers is everyone using?

• Posts 128

oldpiscator replied: Craigs Nightime

Pukeko/Moorhen.

You are not logged in.