file The Tyenna River

• Posts 108

thommo227 replied: The Tyenna River

My first visit there today. I'd kill to have that river up in the New England area! Damn there are some fish.

Not easy though, I suppose they get a lot of pressure where I was. Got quite a few eats but only a few hook-ups (beats me why?), lost the best one in one jump, got a couple of pretty ones around the 30cm mark, one on dry, one on nymph (own ties that I use in NZ).

Got bloody hot, think I'll wet-wade for the remainder of my hol.

I've known a few people who totally mortgaged their lives so they could make a bunch of money figuring they'll retire and be able to buy their lives back, and I just don't think it works that way- John Gierach
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 295

Mitta replied: The Tyenna River

Wet wading Thommo?

As I warned previously, watch out for the snakes - plenty of them in that valley. So glad you are having a terrific experience.

Envious . . . Mitta

The older I become, the better I used to be.
I recently started on the Gin & Tonic diet - so far, I have lost two days three days four days . . . a full week. :-(

• Posts 21

PT48 replied: The Tyenna River

Oh well, that could be one less interloping mainlander!!

• Posts 108

Mitta wrote: Wet wading Thommo?

As I warned previously, watch out for the snakes - plenty of them in that valley. So glad you are having a terrific experience.

Envious . . . Mitta

Thanks mate. My waders are still leaking! Thought I'd fixed them after my last NZ jaunt, but evidently I failed!

Didn't see anything that looked vaguely like a snake, but saw a beautiful big fat platypus.

Mainlanders eat snakes for brekky ;)

I've known a few people who totally mortgaged their lives so they could make a bunch of money figuring they'll retire and be able to buy their lives back, and I just don't think it works that way- John Gierach

• Posts 108

Snakes? What about the Kamikaze Platy's mate :lol:

• Posts 295

Mitta replied: The Tyenna River

Yes . . . there's plenty in there Thommo. I guess it speaks to the apparent health of the river.

Let's hope it holds up.

Did this one startle you, or did you see him/her coming? A sudden, unexpected appearance might have caused a missed heart-beat or two. LOL

Good to see you enjoyed/are enjoying your time there.

M

The older I become, the better I used to be.
I recently started on the Gin & Tonic diet - so far, I have lost two days three days four days . . . a full week. :-(

• Posts 192

jimmyellenberger replied: The Tyenna River

Good to see you out and about Thommo. Wet wading is the go from now on down here, cool water in a deep forest on a hot day is pure luxury. I hit the Tyeena over Xmas for a few days. I found one busy trout feeding heavily within a rod length. I tried 3 different dries...all ignored. Then 4 different nymphs and still he was not spooked! Then while I was tying on something radical to give him a good fright he settled down into a deep groove in the rocks, spread out his pecs and simply went to sleep. First time I have ever bored a fish so badly that he just gave up. In the finish I was standing with a boot on either side of the creature and just poked him in the ribs. By then I was ready for a very cold beer and some sympathy. Fortunately the beer was cold.
Then the fire sent us back home but it was good to see the river looking pretty good considering conditions. Such is the blessings of limestone. Cheers...Jimmy

• Posts 108

No Mitta, he didn't startle me. Saw him rolling around well up the pool then he must have spotted me & decided to come and say hello, which gave me time to whack the GoPro in the water as he came past.

Jimmy, I had the trout ignoring everything y'day, until I finally found the dry fly they wanted - one I'd tied up for the Mataura in NZ. A local woman wandered down to the stream for a smoke & was telling me all about the platypus & the trout, and where the big ones lived. I landed 3 on dry while we were chatting, and got busted off by a 4th.

She said the platy in that hole will swim right up to you, and later on I'm pretty sure it came up and bumped my waders. They are nowhere near that tame in my part of the world. There sure are lots of them in the Tyenna.

I had a quick look at Craigbourne y'day, but it's not my cup of tea, I much prefer a picturesque small stream with tricky little browns.

You are not logged in.